Sudden Little Drops has been recently resurrected so I could talk about music! Check out the new Albums of 2011 post below, and hopefully there will be more new content coming soon.

Saturday 20 March 2010

Death Slide

From the backseat of our car ascending
Up the hill I look out at the fields,
Bare except for hedgerows stretching over
Like the lines to which an old hand yields.

I remember mother’s hand upon my shoulder,
The steady weight, the voice that made me calm,
Speaking softly in my small boys ear:
I promise you won’t come to any harm.

With that promise and with eyes fixed staring
Down the death slide’s dark uncertain drop,
I did not know exactly what was coming,
My small hands trembling, clinging to the top.

And this is what I feel now looking over
Fields scorched with man’s uncertain mark –
My fingers slipping from the wooden bar,
My body carried down into the dark.

1 comment:

  1. Ok I just LOVE this poem - it seems really thought out, did it take you ages to write?

    ReplyDelete